A contrast boost feature has been added to CSGO, allowing players to more easily spot enemies in situations where lighting or detail makes it difficult.
Valve elaborated on this problem, stating that: “Even characters designed to read well in a map might get lost when viewed from a particular angle in a particular location.”
The contrast boost feature is a post-process filter that will be applied to stationary characters, making them stand out from the background in most situations. The setting will be enabled by default but can be turned on or off in the Advanced Video settings.
A more detailed description of this setting:
- Increases the character’s contrast against the background at far distances.
- Strengthens edge pixels for characters at far distances.
- Creates a small blur around a character to reduce background noise.
- Creates a small contrasting halo around a character when there is no color difference between the character and the environment.
In addition to the contrast boost feature, some of the character models have had their textures adjusted in order to improve visibility. The fog has also been adjusted on most maps in an attempt to help players models stand out at longer distances.
Along with these player model changes, this update sees further visibility improvements – most of the maps have had certain problem areas adjusted. Visibility in these areas has been improved by changing the texture behind these common spots that players use.
- Removed large ivy-models near bathrooms by A site
- Removed thin windows in bathrooms by A site
- Removed bicycle by picnic by A long
- Brightened up connector tunnel
- Brightened up T spawn
- Added nice stone trims
- Flipped B site doors
- Simplified background when looking from B tunnels towards truck in mid
- Changed fog start distance from 1000 to 512, changed max density from .2 to .4
- Raised windows by A site ramp to make characters stand out more
- Removed trash pile at top of mid
- Trimmed plant by T spawn, towards apartments
- Boosted light in market window
- Fixed silent dropdown bug from B site balcony
- Changed angle of ladder in ladder-room
- Trimmed ivy by CT spawn towards A site arch
- Fixed CSM shadow from tower in mid
- Added new train bumper model with flat top
- Replaced ladder to sniper’s nest with a box
- Cleaned up several important angles. (Thanks LangeThorup!)
- Added 1v1 Arenas
- Replaced cargo containers with new model for improved performance
- Visibility improvements in T entrance to A Main (Thanks Slender_CS!)
- Fixed unwanted/unintuitive wallbang in Mid Shed
- Subtle color tweaks
- Various clipping fixes
Valve also added that they would “Continue to address feedback about specific problem spots by making adjustments to maps.”
Improvements to visibility are always going to have positive effects on the game, these changes will be greatly appreciated by the community. Full patch notes can be found here.